Cover

Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Texas Roadhouse" Sweet Yeast Roll Recipe to Mix in a Bread Machine



 

Yay!  My recipe was selected as a finalist in the Bread Contest at Instructables.  Thanks for stopping by!


Hey! This recipe has become so popular, I've started a new food blog, Family Favorite Recipes.  I also have a smaller batch version of this recipe on my new blog.  Thanks for visiting!

This is one of those eccentric posts I warned you about! I have been working on this recipe for "Texas Roadhouse" Sweet Yeast Rolls using the dough cycle on my bread machine for awhile, and thought I would share it here....not flowers...you say...it's yummy though, and would love to hear about your adventures making them.  Note: Make sure your bread machine can handle 5 cups of flour.


Start proofing your yeast, in a small glass measuring cup by mixing:
1 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. rapid rise yeast
1/4 cup warm water

While your yeast is proofing:
Scald 1 cup milk and cool to lukewarm
add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey (2/3 cup honey if you like a sweeter roll, we do!)
(I use the cold butter to help cool down the milk)

To bread machine add:
1 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups of flour (may need to add more, see note below)
1 egg
add the milk mixture
add the yeast mixture

I then set my bread machine for the dough cycle.  Check the dough mixture to see if you need to add more flour and add some if the dough seems runny. A good dough will resemble a smooth ball. Remove dough when the dough cycle is complete.  Divide the dough into 1/4's and roll each one into a long tube and cut into roll size.  Allow to double then cook in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 12 minutes. (longer if you like them browner). Brush with melted butter and enjoy!

Notes: You can also make this recipe without a bread machine, by hand kneading, which is how I started making it. 

I have read that the amount of flour needed for a bread machine varies on the atmospheric pressure and the age of the flour.  Also, it will vary by the amount of honey you use.  So, keep an eye on your dough, and add more as needed.  

I have also stashed this dough in the refrigerator and cooked the next day, not quite as good, but still tasty. 

I like to cook my rolls cut side up, but if you put the cut sides facing out, they will look more like Texas Roadhouse rolls.

And...if you like them even sweeter...add honey to the butter you are brushing the tops with after baking or serve with a butter + honey + cinnamon mixture :)

p.s. I use honey that we get from a retired pastor beekeeper, who keeps a few bee colonies at our house, but any honey should work.

2 comments: